[Gandur] Medieval Violence: Strengleikar this Thursday

Félag þjóðfræðinga á Íslandi thjodfraedingar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 20:49:03 GMT 2012

Strengleikar

Miðaldastofa Hugvísindastofnunar / Medieval seminar

Árnagarður 422

Thursday, September 6 at 16:15

The first Strengleikar seminar of the term is offered by Marco Mora,
Research Fellow in medieval history at the University of Bamberg:

Rules of violence in Norse saga literature

Please join us for drinks afterwards (for ISK 400 - remember coins).

Our lecturer offers the following abstract:

Scandinavian Vikings are probably best known as ferocious warriors, whose
acts of violence caused a lot of suffering among European people. Therefore
it is not very surprising that in the Norse sagas of Icelanders, in which
feuding is one of the main themes, violence is a ubiquitous element. In my
lecture I will pursue e.g. the following questions: How do the sources
differ in regard to certain types of violence? What kind of violence was
socially tolerated and what condemned as shameful and dishonorable? In a
second step, I will analyze which methods may have been in use to regulate
violent behavior in order to make it socially acceptable.

--
Viðar Pálsson, PhD, Research Fellow (Grantee), Lecturer
The Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies

--
Viðar Hreinsson
bókmenntafræðingur / literary historian
vidar at akademia.is