[Gandur] RMN Newsletter is here!

- Frog misterfrogfrog at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 16 14:27:55 GMT 2010

We are pleased to announce that the founding, pilot issue of RMN Newsletter, the
newsletter of the Retrospective Methods Network, is now available on-line at:

http://www.helsinki.fi/folkloristiikka/English/RMN/index.htm

RMN Newsletter(ISSN 1799-4497) is an open access bi-annual publication of
Folklore Studies / Department of Philosophy, History, Culture and Art Studies,
University of Helsinki.  It is a newsletter of the Retrospective Methods Network
with issues appearing in December and May of each year.  The newsletter is
primarily oriented to constructing an informational resource and discourse space
for researchers of diverse and intersecting disciplines who share common
interests in the problems, strategies, values and limitations of comparative and
diachronic research related to:

	* investigations into the history underlying the diverse and      variegated
evidence of a tradition or other cultural phenomenon;
	* relationships between evidence of a tradition manifested in      different
historical periods;
	* relationships and historical processes underlying      manifestations of a
tradition encountered across multiple cultures;
	* and the potentials and limitations of analogical comparisons      between
living traditions or traditions subject to extensive documentation      in the
19th and 20th centuries and the traditions of earlier historical      periods
for which evidence is extremely limited.

These interests are not bound to any one discipline, and the increasing movement
toward interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary study and research projects makes
it important to have a multidisciplinary informational resource.  The
orientation of the newsletter is therefore not the publication of research
articles.  It is instead oriented toward information about events, people,
activities, developments and technologies, and research which is ongoing or has
been recently completed – and we invite you to participate in this process by
submitting abstracts of your own relevant presentations and publications to
include as announcements and reports so that other scholars with similar
interests can be made aware and remain up to date on what you are doing.  Rather
than an index, the electronic publication of RMN Newsletter is formatted to be
searchable, so that you will be able to find other scholars doing work in the
areas of your interests by using the relevant key words.  The newsletter also
constructs a venue in which scholars can engage in discussion rather than
constraining contributions to the conclusions of research (which we present in
abstracts, summaries and announcements for rapid survey, directing the reader to
the full publication).

RMN Newsletterwelcomes and promotes its readership to engage in the discourse
space which it offers.  We also promote an awareness that your contribution to
the voices presented here and engagement with them will support, maintain and
also shape this emergent discourse space, so please visit us at
http://www.helsinki.fi/folkloristiikka/English/RMN/index.htm where you will find
more information on how to contribute.

The emerging generation of scholars is extremely important across our diverse
disciplines and it is important for us to both be aware of that generation and
open contact with it.  RMN Newsletter therefore has sections devoted to
summaries of ongoing or recently completed doctoral dissertation and master
thesis research, and we would greatly appreciate it if you could forward this
information to your relevant students: every publication is significant on a
young researcher’s CV, and we welcome the opportunity to be a place of first
publication.

With warm regards, welcome, and holiday cheer,

Frog, Helen F. Leslie and Mathias Nordvig.